David B Hayes
@davidbhayes — Developer, Entrepeneur, Writer — Grand Rapids, MI
I’m a lucky man who does a lot of stuff. Quick hits:
- I’m a PHP/web-developer contractor. You can hire me for help with your Laravel/Symfony/etc projects.
- I also write about PHP and software development at Thoughtful Code.
- I occasionally write (with my wife Megan) about my favorite things about coffee at Low-Key Coffee Snobs.
- I’ve got a love for potent little phrases. Quotes, they’re often called. I keep a large catalog of them at Quodid. (The name comes from how the word “quoted” sounds when I and many other Americans I know say it.)
- I used to run (2013-2022) a site of free high-quality tutorials for people learning to do WordPress development called WPShout.
You Can Find Me on Social Networks
- GitHub, where I sometimes release open-source software
- Mastodon, where I sometimes toot
- BoardGameGeek, where I do game things
- Letterboxd, where I sometimes write words about movies I rate
- Reddit, where I sometimes vote or comment
- LinkedIn, where I sometime maintain a professional profle
- WordPress.org, where I have some (old) plugins
- Instagram, where I post photos of things I think look nice
Projects Not Yet Mentioned
- I’m a somewhat regular speaker on PHP, WordPress, and other technology topics. Slides, etc.
- A few years back, I made a class for Skillshare about WordPress Security. Check it out!
- MarkdownToHtml.co — My go-to Markdown-converting site disappeared. I hadn’t found an adequate replacement. So I made one. It uses Commonmark.
- Require Featured Image — A WordPress plugin I wrote, does what it says on the tin without a lot of complication.
- I believe that meditation is a great thing. To serve the goal of helping others realize that and do it more, I own a meditation tracking service called Medivate.
Some Random Facts about Me
- Megan and I have two cats, which she named Tuna and Luna.
- I think that “marshmallow” is quite possibly the best word in the entire English language. (Though I don’t much like them as a food.)
- I believe in the Four Noble Truths, the wisdom of compassion, and many other Buddhist things. Whether or not that means I’m a Buddhist is still an open question for me.
- I’ve long believed that fiction never got better than The Little Prince.
- Some assorted hobbies not yet covered: cycling, board games, Turmoil, YouTube, mountain biking, hiking.
- I’m currently migrating from my custom JSON resume format to the ResumeJSON.org one.